Monday, May 17, 2010

Turnaround

Two years ago, when I was doing the annual benefits re-up, I thought that since I had two kids now, maybe I should sign up for some extra life insurance. There's a base minimum -- no matter what, my family gets one year's salary if I die -- but I can opt in for more than that. I went with the lowest level, to make it a grand total of two years' worth.

Because this was opt-in rather than the required base minimum, I had to submit a medical form. I didn't think anything of it, really... until they turned me down and denied the life insurance extension.

They were explicit about the reason: morbid obesity. It was a sticking point, an eye-opener, and one of the many reasons I started getting serious about getting exercise and losing weight.

Today, I got another letter from the company's life insurance carrier. This time, it was to tell me that this year's request for additional life insurance has been approved.

Of all the triumphs I've had since this whole thing started, it seems odd that this one should feel so huge. But it does, and so here we are.

No comments: