Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dodge!

This morning's weigh-in was 181.4, which is .6 lost this week, 91.6 total.  Not an outstanding loss, but given the lack of control I was having with the Hallowe'en candy, I'm happy to have lost at all.

This week's challenge:  my birthday.  We're having dinner with my family on Sunday, and my actual birthday is Monday.  I executed some preemptive damage-reduction and told my mom and husband that I'd make my own cake, and then I spent a day or so trolling the Weight Watchers recipe database for lower-point desserts.  (I finally decided to make two of them:  a two-layer meringue/mousse, and gingerbread cupcakes.  I'm doing the cupcakes for the family party because my sister-in-law is allergic to both strawberries and chocolate, and also because I can slather the cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and no one will need to know that they're diet friendly.)  Still, the possibility for excessive dessert consumption lingers, so that's what I'll need to try to avoid.

I'm also looking ahead to the challenge that is Thanksgiving.  I've volunteered to bring pumpkin soup; I may also offer to bring lightened dressing and sweet potato dishes.  And possibly dessert.  (Honestly, I was going to volunteer to have Thanksgiving dinner at our house this year, but my mom is insisting.  I don't think she'll object, however, if I take some of the cooking off her hands.)

I also dusted off the Wii Fit this morning (pretty much literally -- I haven't so much as looked at it for three months or more) and did a little yoga.  That's got less to do with weight loss (yoga isn't exactly a calorie-burner) and more to do with my noticing twinges in my feet again lately, and yoga did more to help that than anything else, ever.  So I want to try to do a little Wii Fit yoga in the mornings.  The goal right now is to do about 15 minutes of yoga, at least 3 times a week.  Ideally, I'd like to make it part of my weekday routine, but I don't want to get too ambitious too fast -- and I need to see how it fits into the morning schedule, anyway.  If it works out well (and I can adjust to not hitting the snooze on my alarm three or four times in a row) I might start to tack on some of the strength training exercises, as well.  But for now, just the yoga, just 15 minutes, to get my feet back in line.

No comments: