Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Moderation

Well, despite the house being loaded with Easter candy, I managed to lose 1.2 pounds this week, which wasn't as much as I was hoping for, but any loss is good loss, right? So I'm at 219.8, which is a total of 53.2 pounds lost.

I got my new purse yesterday, and it's exactly as gorgeous as it looked, and I'm loving it. Though I'm some kind of freak of nature that doesn't like the smell of fresh leather, so I'm hoping that will fade soon.

So I got my weekly email from Weight Watchers this morning, and it had a link to an article on how to eat healthy on a budget, and I went to look, because who couldn't stand to save a little, right?

Of course, the article was mostly things I already knew, like "buy produce in-season" and "don't buy pre-portioned food" and "make your own sauces", but there was a sidebar offering a sample menu on how to eat healthy for only $6 a day!

Six dollars a day, really? It sounds like such a good deal, doesn't it? Six dollars a day, for a family of four, works out to $168 a week. That's not that much of a deal, really. I usually manage to come in at less than $150 a week, and that includes non-food items like cat litter and toiletry items, and each week usually includes a handful of "occasional" items that the sample menu didn't account for, like spices. Sure, $168 a week is cheaper than eating out every day, but you know what? It's still a hell of a lot more expensive to eat healthy.

(It also doesn't address the fact that their sample menu was pretty damned boring. I'm not a gourmet or anything, but seriously? Oatmeal and meatless sandwiches and turkey chili? Yawn.)

Yeah, I know, it's Weight Watchers, they have to try to put a positive spin on it. But seriously, I found it kind of insulting. I'd really rather they didn't try to candy-coat this. Eating healthy costs more. It's a fact. If they're going to just wave their hands and say, "Oh, this isn't really a problem," then they're denying a serious issue for a lot of their customers.

1 comment:

Glossaria said...

Every time I pass a fast food restaurant these days, I think yet again about how much of a killing someone could make running a *healthy* fast food place. Some place with reliably sensible portions and nutritional information clearly on the menu. Delivery and to go, with a drive-thru. And whole grains and fruits and veggies and no-sugar-or-corn-syrup added, darnit! (I went shopping for mandarin oranges yesterday. Do you know how HARD it is to find canned mandarin oranges that are JUST ORANGES? Even *light* syrup makes 'em 2.5 times as many calories. :P )

...jeez, I'm turning into a Californian.