Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wait, What?

Apparently, chocolate-peanut butter confections are on the list of things I can't have in the house because I will not eat Just One. And also, possibly, malted candy (Whoppers and its kin). Leftover Easter candy in the house was pretty dangerous, and though I mostly held off during the day, there were a lot of evenings this week when I'd go into the kitchen to feed the cat before I went to bed and that bag of junk food would call to me, and I'd stand at the counter (because, apparently, if no one sees me eating candy, it doesn't count?) and eat two or three pieces of candy. (Just one mini cadbury egg -- they're only one point each. Oh, well, okay, and a Reese egg. Oooh, and there's a packet of Robin Eggs left! Like that.)

Admittedly, this is still an improvement in habit over previous years, where I wouldn't have managed to restrain myself until bedtime, and I most certainly wouldn't have stopped at only two or three pieces. But still, not that good.

On top of that, my husband and I celebrated our anniversary by going out to eat for lunch Monday, and I very carefully and deliberately chose to go off-diet. I did not want to fret over how many points I had. I had a buttered roll and french onion soup (with cheese and croutons, thank you) and filet mignon (which is actually pretty low in points, for beef, but that's not why I chose it) with garlic mashed potatoes and buttered vegetables. And I had coconut cake and caramel ice cream for dessert. It was lovely and decadent and strictly out of curiosity, I came home and put it in the tracker (though I was totally guessing at the points on the cake and the amount of butter) and it turned out that the meal exceeded my daily points allowance. By a significant amount.

But damn, it was worth it, and I approached the scale this morning having already accepted that I had probably gained. I hoped it wasn't more than a pound. I was secretly hoping for a "maintain."

The scale said 218.4. Well, that's not so bad, I thought. I didn't go back up over 220, at least-- Wait, what? Wasn't I at 219.something last week?

Obviously, Penny had jumped on it and upset the alignment. I re-zeroed it and stepped on again. 218.4. That's a 1.4 pound loss. 54.6 pounds total.

Well, then. We'll see. As a friend pointed out, sometimes the weight gain holds off somehow until the next weigh-in, so I don't expect I can completely relax.

But at least the Easter candy is all gone.

No comments: