Friday, December 19, 2008

'Tis the Season

Last night, we exchanged gifts with our next-door neighbors, since they're leaving today for two weeks. They gave us a cute snowman decoration, and a tin of homemade cookies. (2 points each? Ish?)

There are two boxes of my favorite doughnuts in the kitchen. (6 points each) And a tin of sugar-glazed pecans. (4 points for 1/4c)

In my office is a gift ornament containing eight Ghiradelli chocolate squares. (3 points for 2 squares.) Also, six candy canes. (1 point each)

The doughnuts are the hardest to deal with, and the most dangerous -- I'm constitutionally incapable of only eating one, so I really don't dare indulge. The candy canes are the easiest -- even if I eat all six, it's not completely disastrous. (Which, perversely, makes it easier for me to eat fewer of them.)

Next week, we're going to be out of town, visiting family and (hopefully) friends. Which means I'll spend a lot of time both bored and surrounded by food. We'll eat out a lot. Various relatives will pull out all the stops and have fabulous meals. And then we'll come back and have a big Christmas dinner with my family.

The goal. If I say I'm going to keep losing through all that, then I'm just setting myself up for failure. So the goal is not to stick religiously to the plan, but to try to be a little sensible. The goal is to journal everything, even if it means having to record that I went way overboard on multiple occasions. The goal is to gain no more than 5 pounds over the next two weeks. If, on January 2, I step on the scale and it says 253, then I will have succeeded. And then I will get back on the wagon and lose those pounds before they have a chance to unpack and make friends.

Here's hoping.

No comments: