Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Tick.

Weigh-in time! This morning, I stepped on the scale and it said 225.0.

Uh... What? I stepped off, and it said, "ERR 0". Ah, that makes more sense -- the kids had probably been playing on it and gotten it un-zeroed. I re-zeroed the scale and stepped on again. 230.4. Much more likely.

That's a 1.2 pound drop -- not as much as I was hoping for, but more than I was expecting, to be honest. The baby was sick last week, so I spent most of it working half-days and spending the other half of the day at home, and then Monday was a snow day, so I spent that whole day at home, and... home just isn't a very good place for me to be on a diet.

At work, I can steel myself to some level of discipline. I eat breakfast, I eat lunch, I eat my afternoon snack. If I'm hungry before lunch or before my usual snacktime, I have a few cans of low-point soup stashed in the cabinet, and some pickled beets (don't judge me) in the fridge. I go through at least 36 ounces of liquid while I'm sitting at my desk (in some combination of coffee, tea, and diet soda).

But at home... If the baby doesn't eat all of his handful of mini nilla wafers or slices of banana, I might as well pop one or two in my mouth rather than throw them out and let them go to waste. There's that tub of cool whip in the fridge every time I open it, and one fingerful isn't going to cost me that much, right? And hey, there's that Valentine candy that I got on sale that's only 1 point a bag; what's one point between friends? I don't have a drink ready at hand all the time (it's easier not to have one nearby when the kids are romping on me) so I tend to get hungry faster and snack more -- and even the healthy snacks add up. An average 8oz apple or pear is 2 points. All things that, individually, wouldn't make a difference, but if you add them up over a whole week's worth of snitching and cheating... do.

And I didn't make it to the gym even once in the last week. I was doing workouts on the Wii Fit (wiirkouts, I dubbed them) so I wasn't being a complete slug, but the Wii Fit does not get my heart rate up to 120 and hold it there for thirty or forty minutes solid. (I was hoping I'd get to the gym today, but my car is in the shop. BAH. Maybe I'll make it tonight.)

So, all that taken together, I'm not too displeased with this past week's weigh-in. But here's hoping I'm back on the speed train this coming week.

No comments: